Pregnancy is a time when you want your body to be as healthy and as vital as it can be, not just for you, but also for your baby. A Naturopath can help you during pregnancy to establish what extra nutritional demands you might need, to reduce morning sickness, heartburn, constipation, stress, or offer treatment and support for a pre-existing condition. Naturopathy offers safe and effective treatments during pregnancy.
Michelle is a naturopath & acupuncturist who can help prepare you for pregnancy – to assess if you are deficient in essential nutrients, recommend an appropriate diet and see what areas of health you may need working on before you conceive. Michelle uses a combination of herbal medicine, acupuncture, nutritional medicine, flower essences and lifestyle counselling to help you prepare for the journey of pregnancy.
Michelle uses acupuncture to help you with issues you may encounter during pregnancy and to prepare your body for labour and childbirth. She recommends pre-birth acupuncture from about 35-36 weeks. If you’d like to read more, please see below.
Michelle also offers pregnancy massage in a calm and relaxed environment. For more information about this click here.
How Acupuncture can help you during pregnancy
Acupuncture is an effective treatment to promote a healthy pregnancy and birth.
- In the first trimester of pregnancy, acupuncture can help reduce morning sickness, fatigue, migraines and headaches.
- In the second trimester, acupuncture can assist with heartburn, haemorrhoids, neck/shoulder/back pain, pelvic instability and anxiety.
- And in the third trimester, acupuncture can help provide relief from back pain, sciatica, hypertension, fluid retention, insomnia and help prepare your body for labour.
- In the last four to six weeks of pregnancy, acupuncture treatment can help to prepare the uterus and cervix for labour.
- It does this by ripening the cervix, softening tendons and ligaments in preparation for labour, increasing energy and stamina, can help to shorten the duration of labour, contributes to higher chances of a natural birth without intervention, helps promote milk production and recovery once your baby is born.
- Click here for more information about research on acupuncture to prepare for labour.
Acupuncture post-labour can be also beneficial to help promote breast milk production and to repair scar tissue. Acupuncture can also assist with post-natal depression, general fatigue and low energy after childbirth. Acupuncture can build and strengthen Qi (vital energy) in the body, which is often depleted after pregnancy and child birth.